Friday, January 31, 2014

40's! Feels like Summer!

Today we had weather in the 40's. I swear, after negative wind chill factors, 40's feel like summer!

I am very luck to have a friend with an indoor arena 15 minutes away from my house. Because my outdoor still had piles of snow in places, I figured a nice outing to the indoor was needed in the balmy weather. I packed up Meadow & her things and off we went.

15 minutes later, we arrive, and I unload the girl. I should have known it was going to be an interesting day based on the fact that (a) I hadn't ridden her in about 3 weeks and (b) she came off the trailer a sweaty mess. Now, this horse has been trailered a lot in the past year. Long distances, short distances, and to this particular barn a bunch of times. No excuse for getting all worked up other than pent up energy.

I walked her out a bit before tacking up. Left her halter on as I knew I wanted to lunge her prior to getting on to let her work out any of the winter cobwebs accumulated over the past couple weeks. We literally step one foot into that indoor, and she starts trying to roll. This is her new favorite thing! "Mom! It's so nice in here--no snow, no ice, no mud--must MUST roll." We walk and walk and walk, trying to get her to forget about it. When I think that I MAY be able to lunge her and give her some line, guess what, down she goes, saddle & all. Leaving me with lunge line in one hand, flailing whip in the other, and hooting & hollering like a banshee. What a sight, I'm sure. Silly girl ended up breaking off the over-girth on my old Keiffer saddle. It's not a big deal & is reparable... but is a reminder as to why the babies get the old saddle!

Since I had to fix the saddle & such, I turned her loose for some free-lunging to get the rest of her crazies out. Boy, did she have some fun. Tore around in there like a bat out of hell, for sure. Bucking & rip-roaring twists & turns. When she finally calmed her little butt down, I was able to tack her up with no further mishaps and have a really nice ride.

I was able to get canter departs on both sides multiple times and held the canter for a handful of strides each time as well. She is definitely more unbalanced to the left which is not surprising due to the compensating she had been doing from her injury. I was very pleased with that, and her trot-work was nice and forward and soft. I even threw in a half crossrail which she trotted over like it was nothing. Obviously, I couldn't ask for perfection after letting her sit for 3 weeks, but for the first ride in a while, I was very happy with her... even after the pre-ride antics. :)

Meadow, "flame horse"

No comments:

Post a Comment