![]() |
| Brazynska baby pic, 1990 |
I grew up with Brazynska. I mean, Princesse & Misty represent a big chunk of my childhood and my early years riding, but Brazynska represents my coming-of-age story. Through middle school, I had the horses boarded at barns that micro-managed me, which is awesome for parents who want to drop their kids at the barn all day and then head off to work or whatnot. I cleaned stalls, I swept aisles, I fed horses, I cleaned tack, and I only rode when & where I was "allowed" to. I learned discipline, I learned horsemanship, I learned good riding fundamentals, but I did not get any "street-smarts." I never took a horse on a trail-ride; I never showed; riding in the outdoor arena was considered a BIG DEAL. This resulted in a burnt-out teenager with "crazy," spooky Arabs that had never been ANYWHERE.
As I entered high school, I convinced my parents to let me look for another barn. I ended up moving from a highly disciplined, 50-stall, trainer-on-site, covered-arena dressage barn to a small boarding facility where basically the horses are pets and no one ever rode. At this point, I didn't really know what I wanted to do with my riding. I started jumping, I took up trail-riding, and I joined the local 4-H club. I needed to get un-stuffed from where I was before. I remember taking Brazynska to our first show--we attempted an 18" or so course and had like 3 refusals. She was a flighty wreck, and I had no idea what I was doing, but it was fun!
After about a year of fooling around, I decided to start looking for a dressage trainer again. The jumping and trail-riding were fun and all, but the perfectionist in me needed to get back to dressage. I tested out a couple trainers before landing on a young, up-and-comer in the area. I learned a ton working with her with Brazynska, as well as, acting as a working student for her during my summers.
Brazynska and I started to show regularly, even making it down to Wellington for a few large, rated dressage shows. I won't lie and say we did well... but I learned a lot from her. As a hot, spooky, but-willing horse, anything that she threw at me has now prepared me so well for working with future horses.
Brazynska will now be 24 years old this March and is basically retired. I take her on trail rides--she kicks butt whenever we race my friends :)--and every once in a while, I'll pop her over a jump or two for fun. She's still got the buttons in there to do most 2nd level movements, but she just doesn't have the conditioning to hold on. That's okay though--she is enjoying her retirement & the two youngins are keeping me plenty busy!! :)





No comments:
Post a Comment