Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Winter blues...

I haven't been able to ride for almost 3 weeks now because of crazy weather mixed with a lost shoe. And, to top it all off now, I'm sick!

One benefit to all of this is that my girls are getting used to wearing blankets... Meadow & Elly both had never worn anything prior to this winter, but -10 to -20 deg wind-chills will make any horse shiver! Luckily, I have taken after my father and am a major hoarder. When I was in high school, I rescued a 17.1hh Holsteiner gelding. I only had him for one winter before we discovered he had irreparable ligament damage in his front legs. He was retired to a pasture pet home, but I kept all the horse-clothes we had bought for him.
Concerto, right after being adopted, 2004 (I think)
Needless to say, my little Arab never needed to wear the size 84" sheet & blanket, but they fit my two big girls perfectly!! On the super frigid nights, Elly gets the sheet (she has a wooly mammoth coat) & Meadow gets the blanket. They are keeping them (a) on their bodies and (b) intact, so I'd say that's pretty good for a 3 & 4 yr old with no blanketing experience! So, even in the dreary cold of winter, at least they're getting "training" on something!

No comments:

Post a Comment